What are Electronic Journals?
Electronic Journals are scholarly magazines that can be accessed via electronic transmission, which are either freely available on the internet (open access journals) or through subscription which has been secured by individuals or organizations, such as a library, on behalf of their users. For general information as well as instructions on accessing the electronic journals of the Hellenic Open University (H.O.U.) Library please refer to the General Guide to Electronic Journals. It must be noted that only members of the academic community of the H.O.U. are given access to electronic journals through the username and password credentials they have been supplied, for logging in the Educational Portal of the H.O.U.
The H.O.U. Library provides access to:
- more than 10,000 electronic journals through the Heal-Link portal (through its involvement in the Hellenic Academic Libraries Link consortium). For further information as well as instructions on accessing the Heal-Link portal please refer to the Guide to Searching Electronic Journals in Heal-Link
- electronic journals which are subscriptions of the H.O.U and cover the subject matter of its four Schools (Humanities, Applied Arts, Social Sciences and Science and Technology). You can see those journals listed below. For further information and instructions on accessing journals please refer to the Guide to Searching Journals Subscribed by the H.O.U.
SCHOOL OF HUMANITIES
- Deutsch als Fremdsprache (2019 - ) : Journal about the theory and practice of German as a foreign language presenting the results of scientific research and practical application in certain areas of linguistics, applied linguistics, phonology, learning, teaching and language methodology. Access is available on the premises of the Library. Alternatively you can make a request to the Library for a specific article you are interested in. Please click here for a brief description of the contents.
- Français dans le Monde,Le (2016- ): a magazine containing news from France. It also covers topics regarding French speaking, as well as the cultural life, social events, changes and developments that affect foreign language teaching. The official language of this magazine is French. Access is available on the premises of the Library. Alternatively you can make a request to the Library for a specific article you are interested in. Please click here for a brief description of the contents.
- Fremdsprache Deutsch (1991 - ) : Journal about the practice of German teaching offering booklets on current topics of methodology and teaching German as a foreign language. Access is available on the premises of the Library. Alternatively you can make a request to the Library for a specific article you are interested in. Please click here for a brief description of the contents.
- Informationen Deutsch als Fremdsprache (Info DaF) (2019- ): Journal for teachers and scholars of German as a Foreign Language. The journal publishes contributions covering current and internationally-relevant topics that are of interest to scholars on all continents such as migration and globalization. It also publishes guest-edited special issues.
- Intercultural Pragmatics (2004- ): promotes the development and understanding of pragmatic theory and intercultural competence by publishing research that focuses on general theoretical issues in more than one language and culture.
- Language Assessment Quarterly (2004- ): is dedicated to the advancement of theory, research, and practice in first, second, and foreign language assessment for school, college, and university students, for employment, and for immigration and citizenship.
- New Left Review (1960- ): analyses world politics, the global economy, state powers and protest movements; contemporary social theory, history and philosophy; cinema, literature, heterodox art and aesthetics.
- Open Education: publishes theoretical and scientific texts and original research papers in the areas of open and distance learning and education technology. The official language of the journal is Greek.
- Research on Leadership Education (Journal of) (2006- ): provides an international venue for scholarship and discourse on the teaching and learning of leadership across the many disciplines that inform the field of educational leadership.
- Research Notes Online (2000- ): a publication reporting on matters relating to research, test development and validation within Cambridge English Language Assessment.
- Research Papers in Language Teaching and Learning (2010- ): dedicated to publishing research in the domains of TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) and Applied Linguistics. Its mission is to promote efficient dissemination of the best of the research that is carried out by students and graduates of the M.Ed. in TESOL of the Hellenic Open University, and to facilitate academic exchange between the students and faculty of that programme and members of the wider professional and academic community on a world-wide basis. The official languages of the journal are English and Greek.
- Tribuna Abierta de Estudios Hispano-Helenos (2019 - ): An annual journal of the "Hispanic Language & Civilization''Undergraduate Studies Program of the HOU, in collaboration with the Cervantes Institute of Athens. In the first issue (winter-spring 2019) are published texts by the academic research staff, adjunct academic staff, graduates and students of the HOU, professors from the Cervantes Institute and other academics, scholars (Hispanists) and historians. Part of the contents covers various of the academic and cultural activities of the "Hispanic Language & Civilization'' Undergraduate Studies Program over the years 2017-18. The official languages of the journal are Greek and Spanish.
SCHOOL OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
- The American Statistician (1997- ): contains timely articles organized into the following sections: Statistical Practice, General, Teacher's Corner, History Corner, Interdisciplinary, Statistical Computing and Graphics, Reviews of Books and Teaching Materials, and Letters to the Editor.
- Decision Analysis (2004- ): dedicated to advancing the theory, application and teaching of all aspects of decision analysis. Its primary focus is to develop and study operational decision-making methods.
- Diritto Pubblico (2015-2017): includes research papers which cover the areas of public law and in particular constitutional, administrative and European law. From 2018 onwards, access is available on the premises of the Library and you can make a request to the Library for a specific article you are interested in. Please click here for a brief description of the contents.
- Diritto Pubblico comparato ed europeo (2015-2017): strives to promote and shape discussion of the most relevant legal issues related both to comparative public law and European law. It particularly focuses on the transformation processes the contemporary legal systems are going through, with a specific attention devoted to the contaminations among the different national legal systems and the speed-up process due to the dynamics between legal orders. Articles are written in Italian as well as in English. From 2018 onwards, access is available on the premises of the Library and you can make a request to the Library for a specific article you are interested in. Please click here for a brief description of the contents.
- East-West Journal of Economics and Business (2002- ): concerned with the economies of the East and the West. The journal advances theory, research, and practice in economics and business and provides a forum for academic debate on a variety of topics which are relevant to the journal's central concerns, such as organizational and institutional change, public/private sector interactions, enterprise strategies and internationalization, environmental issues, development problems, regional development and inequalities, real convergence and quality of life.
- International Financial Law Review (1996- ): a financial law publication for lawyers in financial institutions, which offers everything from practical, actionable insight on the latest deal structures αnd regulatory developments to interviews with regulators and in-house counsel worldwide.
- International Journal of Business Continuity and Risk Management (2016- ): concerned with business continuity and risk management and explores themes such as organizational resiliency through risk assessment, contingency planning, systems security, crisis and disaster management, recovery planning and public policy regarding infrastructure and security. Access available from the year 2016 onwards.
- International Journal of Decision Science, risk and management (2015- ): publishes research articles that have high impact on the field of management and decision making. It fosters the exchange of theoretical and practical views, case-based experiences and state-of-the-art applications which shape contemporary management and decision-making trends in SMEs, large organizations, institutions and the public sector.
- International Journal of Risk and Contingency Management (2018- ): publishes interdisciplinary research papers, reviews, and case studies that examine risk, uncertainty, and contingency. It encourages risk and contingency research from disciplines like healthcare, manufacturing, natural resources, agriculture, government, education, military, transportation, finance, and technology. Access available from the year 2018 onwards.
- International Journal of Tourism Policy (2007- ): provides a forum for scholars and policy makers to exchange views and ideas at an international level on key issues that shape the growth of today's tourism industry.
- Organization Science (1998- ): publishes material in the fields of strategy, management and organization theory . It focuses on organizations and in particular their processes, structures, technologies, identities, capabilities, forms and performance.
- Quaderni Costituzionali (2015-2017): deals with all aspects of constitutional law by presenting current issues and events in Italy and other countries. In particular, it concentrates on constitutional case law, the organization as well as the activities of European institutions and on making comparisons of different legal systems.The official language of the journal is Italian. From 2018 onwards, access is available on the premises of the Library and you can make a request to the Library for a specific article you are interested in. Please click here for a brief description of the contents.
- Εφημερίδα Διοικητικού Δικαίου (Journal of Administrative Law) (2006-2018): Covers the needs for instant and valid updating on topics of administrative law and public law, which arise in everyday life. Access to this journal is only available on the premises of the Library. The official language of this Journal is Greek.
SCHOOL OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- Annual Review of Astronomy and Astrophysics (2017- ): covers the significant developments in the field of astronomy and astrophysics, including: the sun; solar system and extrasolar planets; stars; the interstellar medium; galaxy and galaxies; active galactic nuclei; cosmology; and instrumentation and techniques, and the history of the development of new areas of research.
- Expert Review of Molecular Diagnostics (2001- ): Publishing the latest advancements in the field of molecular diagnostics including the detection and monitoring of the molecular causes of disease translated into groundbreaking diagnostic and prognostic technologies to be used in the clinical diagnostic setting.
- Nature Genetics (2012 - ): Nature Genetics publishes the very highest quality research in genetics. It encompasses genetic and functional genomic studies on human and plant traits and on other model organisms. Current emphasis is on the genetic basis for common and complex diseases and on the functional mechanism, architecture and evolution of gene networks, studied by experimental perturbation.
- Presence: teleoperators and virtual environments (2010-2015 full access, 2016-2018 partial access): devoted to research into teleoperation and virtual environments (3D virtual reality worlds). Contains material about fundamental research into topics such as presence, augmented reality, haptics, user interfaces, and virtual humans, and applications that range from heritage and education to training simulators, healthcare, and entertainment.
- Quarterly of Applied Mathematics (1943- ): contains original papers in applied mathematics which have a close connection with applications.
- SAE Emissions Technology Collection: Papers which cover issues concerned with industrial emissions. Topics dealt with are: design, testing and measurement of emissions (to ensure compliance with government and regulatory agencies), particulates, hydrocarbons, oxides of nitrogen, carbon monoxide.
- SIAM Journal on Applied Algebra & Geometry (2019- ): publishes research articles of exceptional quality on the development of algebraic, geometric, and topological methods with strong connection to applications. A lot of areas from mathematics are covered. Application areas include biology, coding theory, complexity theory, computer graphics, computer vision, control theory, cryptography, data science, game theory and economics, geometric design, machine learning, optimization, quantum computing, robotics, social choice, and statistics.
- SIAM Journal on Applied Mathematics (1997- ): is an interdisciplinary journal containing research articles that treat scientific problems using methods that are of mathematical interest. Appropriate subject areas include the physical, engineering, financial and life sciences.
- SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems (1997- ): publishes research articles on the mathematical analysis and modeling of dynamical systems and its application to the physical, engineering, life, and social sciences.
- SIAM Journal on Computing (1997- ): contains research articles on the mathematical and formal aspects of computer science and nonnumerical computing.
- SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization (1997- ): contains research articles on the mathematics and applications of control theory and on those parts of optimization theory concerned with the dynamics of deterministic or stochastic systems in continuous or discrete time or otherwise dealing with differential equations, dynamics, infinite-dimensional spaces, or fundamental issues in variational analysis and geometry.
- SIAM Journal on Discrete Mathematics (1997- ): publishes research articles on a broad range of topics from pure and applied mathematics including combinatorics and graph theory, discrete optimization and operations research, theoretical computer science, and coding and communication theory.
- SIAM Journal on Financial Mathematics (2010- ): addresses theoretical developments in financial mathematics as well as breakthroughs in the computational challenges they encompass. The journal provides a common platform for scholars interested in the mathematical theory of finance as well as practitioners interested in rigorous treatments of the scientific computational issues related to implementation.
- SIAM Journal on Imaging Sciences (2008- ): covers all areas of imaging sciences, broadly interpreted. It includes image formation, image processing, image analysis, image interpretation and understanding, computer graphics and visualization, and inverse problems in imaging; leading to applications to diverse areas in science, medicine, engineering, and other fields.
- SIAM Journal on Mathematical Analysis (1997- ): features research articles of the highest quality employing innovative analytical techniques and employ mathematical methods in such areas as partial differential equations, the calculus of variations, functional analysis, approximation theory, harmonic or wavelet analysis, or dynamical systems.
- SIAM Journal on Mathematics of Data Science (SIMODS): publishes work that advances mathematical, statistical, and computational methods in the context of data and information sciences.
- SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and Applications (1997- ): publishes research articles in matrix analysis and its applications and papers of interest to the numerical linear algebra community. Applications include such areas as signal processing, systems and control theory, statistics, Markov chains, and mathematical biology.
- SIAM Multiscale Modeling and Simulation (2003- ): an interdisciplinary journal focusing on the fundamental modeling and computational principles underlying various multiscale methods.
- SIAM Journal on Numerical Analysis (1997- ): contains research articles on the development and analysis of numerical methods. Topics include the rigorous study of convergence of algorithms, their accuracy, their stability, and their computational complexity.
- SIAM Journal on Optimization (1997- ): contains research articles on the theory and practice of optimization. The areas addressed include linear and quadratic programming, convex programming, nonlinear programming, complementarity problems, stochastic optimization, combinatorial optimization, integer programming, and convex, nonsmooth and variational analysis.
- SIAM Theory of Probability and its Applications (1997- ): is a translation of the Russian journal Teoriya Veroyatnostei i ee Primeneniya, which contains papers on the theory and application of probability, statistics, and stochastic processes.
- SIAM Review (1997- ): contains articles of broad interest which deal with problems, solutions, techniques, tools, mathematical formulas and questions which have to do with mathematics.
- SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing (1997- ): contains research articles on numerical methods and techniques for scientific computation. Papers address computational issues relevant to the solution of scientific or engineering problems and generally include computational results demonstrating the effectiveness of the proposed techniques.
- SIAM Journal on Uncertainty Quantification (2013- ): publishes research articles presenting significant mathematical, statistical, algorithmic, and application advances in uncertainty quantification, defined as the interface of complex modeling of processes and data, especially characterizations of the uncertainties inherent in the use of such models. The journal also focuses on related fields such as sensitivity analysis, model validation, model calibration, data assimilation, and code verification.
- Theoretical & Computational Acoustics (Journal of) (2001- ): provides an international forum for the dissemination of the state-of-the-art information in the field of Computational Acoustics. Topics include ocean acoustics, seismo-acoustics, aeroacoustics, computational methods and supercomputing.
- Scientific Bulletin of the School of Science and Technology (2018- ): contains selected dissertations from the hundreds written in each academic year in the curriculum of the postgraduate programs of the School of Science and Technology of the HOU and where, in many cases, the selected results of such dissertations are then presented in Conference Proceedings and peer reviewed Scientific Journals. All dissertations are located in the digital repository of the Institution https://apothesis.eap.gr/
- Περιβάλλον και Δίκαιο (Law and Environment) (1997- ): This journal addresses natural environment and cultural heritage law, as well as land/urban planning and construction law. It includes scientific articles, studies, experts' opinions and contributions of important scientific conferences concerning the above subject matter. The official language of the Journal is Greek. Access to this journal is available on the premises of the Library. Alternatively, you can make a request to the Library for a specific article you are interested in, which you can locate here.